What is the Mentorship Program?
The Wisconsin Pork Association Mentorship Program is a one-year program for college students with a passion for agriculture and interest in the swine industry. Participants will expand their knowledge of the swine industry through hands-on experiences and job shadows, involvement in pork industry programs, and partaking in Wisconsin Pork Association activities. The program, which has a strong focus on career development, will provide opportunities to network with pork industry leaders, identify future career goals, and create valuable connections with potential employers.
Who Can Participate?
The Mentorship Program is geared towards college-age students with an interest in agriculture and/or the swine industry. You don’t need prior experience in the pork industry to apply! You must be a Wisconsin resident and enrolled full-time at a post-secondary school.
What Will I Do?
Throughout the course of a year, you will be immersed into the pork industry by participating in pork industry programs, activities and job shadows. We give you an entire year to complete activities to accommodate your college class schedule and other commitments. Some activities you’ll participate in include:
- World Pork Expo
- Join over 20,000 pork producers and industry professionals for the world’s largest pork-specific trade show. The event also includes educational seminars for producers and training courses for swine industry advocates.
- Pork Schoppe at the Wisconsin State Fair
- The Pork Schoppe has been a staple at the Wisconsin State Fair for over 30 years. The Pork Schoppe is a fundraiser for Wisconsin Pork Association where we serve delicious pork sandwiches to fairgoers.
- Job Shadows
- Learn first-hand about the employment opportunities the swine industry has to offer. Spend time shadowing a farmer, veterinarian, nutritionist, loan officer, butcher, engineer….the opportunities are endless!
- Wisconsin Pork Association Annual Meeting
- Meet the Wisconsin Pork Association membership and learn about the very important role our members have in the success of the organization. You’ll also have a chance to show our members all of the exciting things you’ve experienced as part of the Mentorship Program.
How Do I Apply?
Click the following link to download an application form:
*Please SAVE the form PRIOR to entering your information. Entering information directly from the download may result in your responses being cleared when saving and submitting the form.*
The application deadline is December 1, 2017.
Have More Questions?
We know there’s questions we haven’t answered! To get your questions answered and learn more about the Mentorship Program, contact the WPA office at 608-723-7551 or email email@example.com.